Skip to main content

Personal - Things I Remember

It would be fair to say that some of my earliest memories of childhood were of my mother being beaten by my father. They weren't the only ones, but they were the strongest and have had the most lasting effect on me emotionally.

I recall many memories from back then. I had many normal experiences and it was like I led a normal life, but had this other part of my life that I kept hidden from others, like a second life where I stood witness to the brutalities of my father. My mother has said he used to beat me, but I don't have memories of this. They are all of my mother. I remember her being pulled around part of the kitchen by her hair. I remember him yelling and throwing a ketchup bottle at her and it smashing against the refridgerator and all the red spraying against it's side. I remember him beating her with his belt, or asking her to get a coat hanger for him. When she wouldn't he demanded that I get one for him. I remember panicked and crying because I would have to get it but I knew in getting it he was going to use it to beat my mother; which he did. I remember her screaming and crying for me not to get it. I remember the fear. I remember watching a movie in my mothers lap and at the end when a robot had to be left behind, we both cried.

Not all memories were bad. There was this other life we led too; outside the home. We went skating on the lake at night with a hundred or two other families by lamp light. I remember my bell bottoms and karate lessons on hot summer days and instructors that wouldn't let us swat at the mosquitos. I remember white tennis outfits my parents wore when playing. I remember them practicing flute together in a second-floor room and a silver bullet restaurant I thought was cool and we ate at once or twice, but passed almost every day. I remember loving the big Azar's sign and the next door neighbor, who gave us fresh pears from his tree. I remember playing with a few friends and us getting in trouble one day because we had been playing on a garage roof. I was probably five at that time, and possibly six. Interesting that we felt the freedom to go and roam around and play.

I remember our dog chasing a squirrel across the street and getting hit by a car, and then trying to get back and getting hit by another. I think he lived, actually. I remember getting angry at my younger brother and mistakenly making him hit his head on the iron heater and him bleeding and me getting in trouble for it. I think he had to get stitches for it, but I'm not sure. I do remember us living in an apartment and walking and him just learning to walk and falling off a concrete wall bordering the driveway beside the apartments and bleeding from his head. This was before we moved to Waterbury and the other place (Blueberry?). I had to be three at time, I think, but I'm not sure.

I know we moved there to a place that seemed to have trees all around us. We had a volkswagen bus with a sunflower painted on the drivers door. I can't remember the color of it, but I want to say blue. I remember sitting in my mothers lap and my father braking suddenly and me flying out of my mothers arms and hitting the windshield. It cracked. She was panicking, afraid I was hurt, but I remember telling her I was fine.

I remember finding a robins blue egg in the yard one day and thinking it was a lost Easter egg. My father bought me a Tyco (sp?) race car set but hiding it in a room where I never really got to play with it. I remember my mother arguing with him, asking why he bought it for me if he wasn't going to let me play with it. I think she suggested he was playing with it, but I'm not sure. Being perhaps three at the time, I'm sure he was worried about me wrecking it. I watched them meditating a lot then; there was a buddha and incense and I remember tripping on the door sill to the meditation room and tripping so that I hit my mouth on the chair and bleeding. I think I lost a tooth, but I can't be certain. I remember going over to this girls house. She was perhaps a year or two older than me but took care of her father, who couldn't see. She knew sign language and I thought it was terribly amazing that she could wave her arms around and speak to her father without saying a word and he'd understand everything. He always had dried apricots for us to eat. She taught me how to tie my shoes. I was terribly fond of her in a way I couldn't describe or understand at the time. We left that house and moved back to Danbury, where the horrors began. I never did see her again, but my earliest memories of affection and awe for someone not in my family are of her and memories of her have never left me.

When I was in the first grade, I remember being in my class and my mother coming in and asking to see me. The teacher said that she'd have to wait. She came in and said that I was her child and she could do what she wanted. The two of them grabbed an arm and had a tug-of-war of sorts for several seconds before my mother grabbed me and we rushed out to a waiting cab. I can't remember how we got from Danbury to Fort Wayne, but I suppose it was either a plane or train. I was with my mother and my younger brother, who would have been almost four at the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eve Online - Faction Warfare Missioning

Basics: Gain ISK and LP by completing and turning in missions. Missions are against npc's (non-player "rats"). They generally involve destroying an object (like a reactor), or a head honcho rat (like a Sector Commander). With ISK you can purchase whatever you need off the Eve markets. LP you use to purchase items in your corporations Loyalty Points Store (LP = Loyalty Points). How lucrative is mission running? It depends on the tier the faction is at in the warzone. If you complete 20 missions, you should on average at Tier 3 get a payout of about 40 million ISK and 450K-550K LP. At about 700 ISK/LP that translates to about 350 mil. ISK. At Tier 4, those same missions completed should pay out 650k-850k LP. This would translate to about 550 mil. ISK. What do I use to run missions? Current doctrine suggests that if you're Amarr fighting against Minmatar, the best ship to use on Level 3 and 4 missions is a Stealth Bomber called the Hound . You can stay at range

Why the world doesn't need Superman

When you read a romantic novel, or watch a blockbuster movie, or even something as mundane as a soap opera, the girl always gets her man. She always leaves another man, less worthy than this Superman. He invariably beat her, or never had time for his kids because he was too busy with his job, or carried on affairs with someone from his office, or any one of a dozen or so standard reasons. But, she leaves him because she found her true love, her Super Man. In any case there is this unworthy ex that we as the audience find despicable in some way so that her leaving him is justified and the right thing to do. This is a metaphor, of course, but what happens to all those unworthy ? Are they as bad as all that, or do they just serve as a mechanism that allows the plot to permit this behavior of hers? So who are these nameless unworthy ? In fact they do have names and personalities, and I'd wager they are not quit as bad as made out. Why? Because I am one of these, and as a member of t

Commentary: Religion - Why it's hard for me to Believe

1. I have been ernest many times in my pleas to ask something of God and I've never received a whisper of a voice back. I've wanted to talk to my Dad, but have never heard any voices talking back. I would venture to say that if I had heard either, anyone upon hearing of that would think I'm 'mental' and suggest I see a psychiatrist, no? How about priests? They say they 'talk to God' and that God 'speaks' to them, but they never claim to have actually heard an actual voice. If all this time the real audio communication is only one-way, how is there any proof that anything is on the other side? 2. Sure, there are stories of miracles, but in your life or mine or anyone we know... When was the last time there has been an unequivical miracle happen that cannot be explained away as anything else but a miracle? 3. When people get a touchdown, they thank God. When they're rescued from a burning building, they thank God. When they're rescued from a pr